The basics of home buying
Finding the perfect family home, apartment, vacation or investment property will take time, effort and research. Choosing the right location to suit your needs is crucial, as is ensuring that the property you purchase is the right size and style. Setting a budget and sticking to it is also extremely important when buying a new home. Before you start your real estate search it is essential to consider all the expenses involved and figure out exactly how large a mortgage you can afford on your income. Don't forget things like property tax, insurance and legal fees can really add up.
Writing up a wish list of "must haves" along with a list of things you would "like to have" is a good starting point when searching for real estate. You don't want to compromise on what's really important but at the same time being too picky can make it almost impossible to find a new home.
Wish List for Homebuyers
Real Estate Search Engines
- Location - Which area do you want to live in?
- What is your budget and price range?
- Do you need to be close to schools?
- Are there childcare facilities nearby?
- Is there adequate public transportation?
- Are you looking for a modern new build home?
- Do you want a classic style ie. Victorian?
- How far is the commute from work?
- Are there grocery stores nearby?
- Are you looking to move straight in or are you happy with a fixer-upper?
- Is the neighborhood safe?
- How many bedrooms do you require?
- How many bathrooms do you need?
- Are you looking for a home with a garden or outside space?
- Depending on the climate, do you need heating or air conditioning?
There are numerous online real estate search engines that can help you find your ideal property. By narrowing down your search you can view literally hundreds if not thousands of properties in your specified area, making it easier to find your dream home.
Realtor.com lists millions of properties for sale across the United States. With search tools, moving guides and buying tips.
CyberHomes offers a searchable database of homes for sale along with home values. With school and neighborhood information and news and advice.
FrontDoor is a real estate directory for homebuyers which includes information on local neighborhoods, with tips and advice on home finance, relocation and maps.
Homes.com lists homes and apartments for sale across the USA, along with real estate rentals. With a community question and answers section, home value calculator and foreclosure information.
HomeSeekers.com is an online real estate search facility providing property listings, credit calculator and home value information.
Zillow is a searchable database for homebuyers providing real estate listing across the US.